Nittany Notes: Lions hold annual awards banquet
UNIVERSITY PARK – Although the 2017 Penn State football season isn’t in the books just yet, the year-end banquet was held on Sunday night by the State College Quarterback Club.
Here are the big winners: Junior running back Saquon Barkley was selected as the Nittany Lions' team MVP. Quarterback Trace McSorley was selected as the most valuable player on offense. Defensively, Marcus Allen was named the MVP of the defense. The Alumni Achievement Award went to safety Mark Robinson. He runs the Safety Harbor Montessori Academy with his wife, Haley.
According to www.gopsusports.com, here's a complete list of award winners:
Lions' Pride Outstanding Senior Player Award (greatest career contribution to Penn State Football) - linebacker Jason Cabinda and wide receiver DaeSean Hamilton
- Most Valuable Player - running back Saquon Barkley
- Most Valuable Offensive Player - quarterback Trace McSorley
- Most Valuable Defensive Player - safety Marcus Allen
- Captain's Award - safety Marcus Allen, running back Saquon Barkley, linebacker Jason Cabinda, kicker Tyler Davis, cornerback Grant Haley, wide receiver DaeSean Hamilton, quarterback Trace McSorley, safety Nick Scott
- Ridge Riley Award (senior for "sportsmanship, scholarship, leadership and friendship") - safety Troy Apke, offensive lineman Andrew Nelson
- Dick Maginnis Memorial Award (outstanding offensive lineman) - offensive lineman Brendan Mahon
- Bob Mitinger Memorial Award (senior who exhibits courage, character and social responsibility) - running back Josh McPhearson, cornerback Grant Haley, defensive end Torrence Brown
- Reid-Robinson Award (outstanding defensive lineman). Named in honor of two of Penn State's most acclaimed defensive linemen, Dave Robinson and Mike Reid - defensive tackle Parker Cothren
- John Bruno Memorial Award (outstanding member of special teams) - punter Blake Gillikin
- Tim Shaw Thrive Award. Awardedto the student-athlete who has overcome adversities and been an inspiration to his fellow teammates - defensive tackle Tyrell Chavis
- Iron Lion Award (strength and conditioning). Awarded to the player who demonstrates the cornerstone of the Penn State Football strength and conditioning program -- intensity and consistency - wide receiver DaeSean Hamilton
- Outstanding Run-on Award (Run-on player who exemplifies total commitment, loyalty, hard work and courage) - tight end Tom Pancoast, quarterback Billy Fessler
- Quarterback Club Special Awards - wide receiver Saeed Blacknall, cornerback Christian Campbell, defensive tackle Curtis Cothran, tight end Mike Gesicki, kicker Tyler Davis
- Football Letterman's Club Joe and Sue Paterno Post-Graduate Scholarship ($5,000 Scholarship to a senior to provide recognition and financial assistance for graduate school) - linebacker Brandon Smith
- The Nittany Lion Club Academic Achievement Award (senior with highest GPA) - linebacker Brandon Smith
- Highest Academic Average - punter Blake Gillikin
- Public Service Award - offensive lineman Charlie Shuman
- Scout Team Special Teams Player of the Year - safety Jonathan Sutherland
- Scout Team Defensive Player of the Year - cornerback Desi Davis, linebacker Jason Vranic
- Scout Team Offensive Player of the Year - running back Josh McPhearson, offensive lineman Des Holmes
- Football Support Staff Member of the Year - Superman Berrow
- Head Coach Special Recognition Award - Leanne Louden
Penn State will face Washington in the Fiesta Bowl on Saturday, Dec. 30.
Ah, the clichés are all finally out. “Fall in love.” “Pumpkin spice and everything nice,” “Fall for these deals”—you get the idea.
Nonetheless, the season of changing leaves, funky scarves...
Don’t you feel like construction and roadwork is happening everywhere these days? It feels as though not a day goes by without passing by a construction site or crew working on the side of the...
The Penn Stater’s home in Innovation Park makes it the perfect location for a business lunch (none of the hassle of downtown traffic or parking garages), slow Sunday brunches or a celebratory...
Since 1931, The Nittany Lion Inn has defined Penn State luxury. It pairs nostalgia with world‑class amenities and dining to create a...
The Center for the Performing Arts at Penn State has finalized its 2018–19 performance schedule, and it’s packed with acclaimed Broadway hits, performances from dance troupes with a message,...