Nittany Lions advance at Big Ten Tournament

NEW YORK — The Penn State men’s basketball team is moving on.

The Nittany Lions took care of business in the second round of the Big Ten Tournament, knocking off No. 10 seed Northwestern, 65-57, on Thursday night at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

The game was tied at 30 at the intermission, but the No. 7 seeded Nittany Lions pulled away in the second half to advance in the tourney. They are now 20-12 on the season. The Wildcats’ season ended at 15-17.

Tony Carr led the Nittany Lions with 25 points, while Josh Reaves (15) and Shep Garner (12) also chipped in. The

The win snapped a three-game losing streak for the Nittany Lions.

Carr hit a go-ahead 3-pointer with 4:06 to play to give Penn State a 55-54 lead and ignite a game-closing 13-2 run. He later set up a 3-pointer by Josh Reaves that expanded the lead to 58-54 with 3:03 to go and he followed with his sixth 3-pointer a minute later for a seven-point lead.

Reaves finished with 15 points and Shep Garner had 12.

Dererk Pardon has 14 points and eight rebounds for Northwestern (15-17), which finished its season on a seven-game losing streak. It was a major disappointment for the Wildcats who went to the NCAA Tournament for the first time last season and had high hopes coming into this season.

Scottie Lindsey added 12 points for Northwestern before fouling out with 3:15 to play on an offensive foul.

Neither team led by more than four points in the final 15 minutes until Penn State took control late.

Bryant McIntosh gave Northwestern its last lead at 54-52 with 4:33 to go with an off-balance jumper from the left baseline.

Carr, who scored 15 points in the first half and was blanked for the opening 13 minutes of the second half, then gave Penn State the lead with one of his high-arcing shots.
The first half ended in a 30-all tie but the most interesting play was a flagrant foul called against Lindsey with 4:47 left in the half and Northwestern ahead 25-19. Carr seemingly had a shot blocked on the offensive end and Lindsey had his shot blocked on the other end.

Carr then came to the bench with his mouth bleeding. The officials reviewed the videotape of his blocked shot and assessed the flagrant.

Back to Top