Happy Valley bucket list
It is the perfect time to plan new adventures. Our bucket list is all about discovering Happy Valley all over again, from new things to see and do, to new-to-you experiences.
- Scale new heights at Climb Nittany. The climbing walls, courses and classes at the newly opened facility in Boalsburg are designed to help everybody climb.
- Learn to mountain bike. Harvest Fields Community Trails’ multi-use trail system is an ideal place for the whole family to discover the sport of mountain biking, with trails designed for all skill levels.
- Observe nature. More than 140 resident and migratory birds can be spotted throughout the year at the Galen and Nancy Dreibelbis Viewing Area near Julian, which features fully accessible viewing blinds and a linear trail surrounding the wetland.
- Attend festivals. First Night State College, Central PA 4th Fest, the Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts and the People's Choice Festival of Central PA are all being planned for 2022. You can check the calendar at HappyValley.com/events.
- Go on an ag-focused driving tour. Happy Valley Agventures’ Ag Heritage Driving Tour and the Centre County Farmland Trust’s Farm Routes (There are three to choose from!) are fun ways to learn about the county’s agricultural roots – with plenty of memorable stops along the way, not to mention beautiful scenery.
- Create your own ice cream trail. Happy Valley is THE PLACE for the best ice cream, including several farm fresh, hyper-local options: the world-famous Berkey Creamery; Wasson Farm, Inglebean Ice Cream; Meyer Dairy, Big D’s Cones and Shakes in Milesburg, and the We Are Inn in Philipsburg (serving up Berkey Creamery ice cream and Italian water ice) are just some of the many cool options to beat the summertime heat in Happy Valley.
- Give a boost to new businesses. Belle Mercantile, Art Ala Cart, Axemann Brewery, Pine Grove Hall, University Wine Company’s new tasting room, Titan Market are among the businesses that opened during or directly before the pandemic.
- Enjoy a new season of Spikes baseball. Major League Baseball’s inaugural Draft League kicked off in 2021, bringing another exciting season of State College Spikes baseball to Happy Valley. What hasn’t changed is the comfortable, family friendly atmosphere at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park, always enjoyable entertainment and delicious ballpark food.
- Discover new old finds. Happy Valley’s antique and vintage shops are full of unique finds. Philipsburg’s Shindig Alley specializes in Mid-Century Modern; Apple Hill Antiques in State College is one of central Pennsylvania’s premier antique co-ops. The Great Mish Mosh is a “great collection of everything” and one of many browse-worthy antique stores in Bellefonte.
- New experiences are always on the horizon. The pollinator garden at the Arboretum at Penn State is ready to welcome visitors again in the warmer months. In Bellefonte, all eyes are on The Gamble Mill project, including the recent opening of the Creekside at the Mill restaurant, and The Republic bar. In nearby Milesburg, Happy Dishes and a second Lupita’s location bring flavorful dining options to the Bald Eagle Valley.
Need more inspiration? Visit Dispatch.HappyValley.com