It's almost time for the 52nd annual Festival of the Arts. From July 12-15, downtown State College will transform back into the festival that features some of our favorite...
Penn State's Top 10 Plays of 2017 ... so far
UNIVERSITY PARK – We are just six games into the 2017 Penn State football season and there have been an entire season of memorable moments.
Since we are in the midst of a bye week, it seemed like a good time to look back at the 10 most memorable moments of the first six games – all Penn State wins, by the way.
Like any good top 10, we’ll count down from bottom to top.
10. Scoop and Score – Up 14-0 against Indiana, Penn State’s Blake Gillikin launched a punt. On the return, Irvin Charles punched the ball out and Nick Scott scooped it up for the Nittany Lion touchdown and Penn State began to dismantle the Hoosiers.
9. Icing the Kicker – Ahead 56-0, Penn State head coach James Franklin called a timeout with 11 seconds left in the game. Nationally, Franklin took some heat for the move. Franklin later defended the timeout, saying he had the wrong personnel on the field for the field attempt. No matter what you think of the move, it worked. Georgia State missed the FG and PSU preserved its 56-0 shutout victory.
8. Trace Breaks Record – Against Northwestern, Trace McSorley completed 15 consecutive passes. That broke the record of 14 consecutive passes, which was held by Kerry Collins and set in 1994. The 1994 team, of course, went undefeated and finished as the No. 2 in the country, behind Nebraska.
7. DaeSean Breaks Record – Against Indiana, WR DaeSean Hamilton tied Penn State’s all-time receptions record with a 24-yard touchdown catch from McSorley in the third quarter against Indiana. He broke it with a 25-yard reception in the fourth quarter.
6. The Safety – With just under six minutes left in the game with Pitt, Penn State’s Marcus Allen dropped Pitt’s Darrin Hall in the end zone for a rare safety. That extended the Nittany Lions’ lead to 30-14 and salted the game away. The Lions went on to win, 33-14.
5. The One-Hander – With 3:21 to go in the first quarter against Indiana, Saquon Barkley snagged a McSorley pass out of the sky, pulled it in and rumbled for a 36-yard gain against the Hoosiers. The pass looked like it was going to sail over Barkley’s head, but he made something out of nothing.
4. Barkley Can Pass – On the first play of the fourth quarter against Indiana, Barkley completed a 16-yard touchdown pass to Hamilton. It wasn’t the prettiest pass, but it got the job done and completed the rout of the Hoosiers.
3. To the House – Against Indiana in Week 5, Barkley took the opening kickoff 98 yards to the house for the first score of the game. In the “Generations of Greatness” game, Barkley showed off his speed in the white cleats. He high-stepped his way out of a tackle at the Indiana 18-yard line for good measure.
2. The Leap – We don’t even have to set the play up. You remember it: On a third-and-6, McSorley hit Barkley with a short pass. He hurdled an Iowa defender and took a hit before getting to the sticks, picking up a much-needed first down.
1. The Walk-Off – Fourth down. Undefeated season on the line. McSorley connected with Juwan Johnson for a walk-off 7-yard touchdown pass that kept the Lions undefeated. No matter what happens the rest of the way, the walk-off TD will be remembered in Happy Valley for a very long time.
Six more games to go. Here’s hoping for more memorable moments.
Since 1931, The Nittany Lion Inn has defined Penn State luxury. It pairs nostalgia with world‑class amenities and dining to create a...
The Center for the Performing Arts at Penn State has finalized its 2018–19 performance schedule, and it’s packed with acclaimed Broadway hits, performances from dance troupes with a message,...
Summer is meant to be spent outside. So, after a long day at work, why not meet up with friends for a drink or gather the family for a meal under the sun? Luckily, Happy Valley boasts a vast...
Summer is just around the corner, so make sure to work plenty of outside time into your plans! Here are a few of our favorite spots for fun in the sun in Happy Valley’s beautiful great outdoors....